What is a Health Pledge?
A Health Pledge is your commitment to taking small steps to achieve a big change. You could consider it a guide to help you on your journey to a healthier you. It will encourage you to make the small, easy steps which will lead to a big improvement in your health.
How do I make a Health Pledge?
Read the tips pages to give you some ideas or to help you choose an idea of your own. Once you have decided what you want to do and how long for, write it down and post it somewhere you can refer to it whenever you need reminding. That could be on the fridge, your kitchen wall, at work or on this website (see the FAQ for how to pledge on this site).
Tips to make your Health Pledge a success.
- Don’t make it too hard. Remember that small changes can mean big progress over time and you can always step it up if it’s going well
- KISS - Keep It Simple and Specific
- Write it carefully so that it’s possible and clear. Read these tips for writing a SMART Health Pledge
- Adjust your plan if it needs some changes
- Plan carefully so you have what you need or have thrown stuff away
- Think about what support you may need and don’t be afraid to ask for help
- Make a chart so you can tick things off and see your progress
- Tell your friends & family and get them to encourage and support you. The best thing would be if they made a pledge too!
- Remember that doing something for around a month turns it into a habit
- Treats are always good… e.g. buy something nice with the money you save on takeaways!
- If you do have a bad time and don’t keep your pledge, don’t give up. Start again from the next day and learn from it!